The Health Service of Castilla-La Mancha (SESCAM) is responsible for citizens’ health management in the autonomous community of Castilla-La-Mancha. Project aim Implementing a decision-making support system in real time that improves the adherence of SESCAM professionals to the different clinical pathways established by the Health Service. Implementation time The solution, in the trial period, was implemented over a period of 5 months in the primary care area of La Mancha Centro.
The importance of adherence to clinical pathwaysA clinical pathway is a multidisciplinary management tool built on evidence-based practice for a specific group of patients with a predictable clinical course, in which the different tasks (interventions) by the professionals involved in patient care are defined, optimized and sequenced during the hospital stay or consultation. Clinical pathways are one of the main tools of quality care management for the standardization of care processes, and their implementation allows the variability of clinical practice to be reduced.
3 project phases
- Using SAVANA Manager technology to analyze all the necessary clinical information with the purpose of quantifying professionals’ adherence to the different clinical pathways and to establish recommendations to help improve adherence rates.
- A support system, developed by Accenture and using Savana’s language processing technology, implemented to alert primary care physicians, in real time, when any of the recommendations apply in the different healthcare processes.
- Adherence has been monitored through incremental information uploads to SAVANA Manager and analyzing the use of the Accenture support system. The system allows recommendations to be adapted over time, achieving a proactive management of best practices.
- Adherence to clinical pathways has improved in 8 clinical pathways, being significant (p <0.05) in 3 of them.
- Professionals of healthcare centers view the solution as a useful tool that does not hinder or affect the dynamics of their work.